"River Wash Sport Yarn"

Sock of the Month: “Lost City” Socks

Visit the ancient stone city of Petra with our "Lost City" Socks ...
Featuring Mountain Colors' River Wash Sport yarn ... 20% OFF!

One of the New 7 Wonders of the World, Petra is a famous archaeological city in southern Jordan and is the country's most-visited tourist attraction. Founded by the once-nomadic Nabataean tribe as early at 312 BC, the city is carved out of rose colored sandstone and includes a sophisticated water collection system. At its height, 30,000 people thrived in this desert oasis!

Petra was lost to the outside world for over 600 years ... from the time of the Crusades.  Then, in 1812, Jean Louis Burckhardt made his way thru the narrow valley leading to the lost city.  Discoveries are still happening in Petra today with only 15% of the city uncovered while the remaining 85% sits untouched underground.

The Nabataean tribe used their knowledge of the desert to establish trade routes which allowed contact and influence from other civilizations. As a result, the architectural style of Petra is a mixture of Egyptian, Assyrian, Hellenistic, Mesopotamian and Roman infused with Nabataean flourishes.

Knit in the perfect color to reflect the rose sandstone of Petra, Amy translated the geometric shapes of the city's most famous attractions, The Monastery and The Treasury, into the textural design seen on the Lost City Socks!

Bonus: Get the pattern FREE with purchase of Mountain Color's River Wash Sport ... 20% OFF!

Thank you to Colleen for suggesting the ancient city of Petra, Jordan as inspiration for this month's sock!


Mountain Colors Yarns logo

Lost Socks

by Amy Loberg

Pattern FREE with purchase
of River Wash Sport

The toe-up, sport weight Lost City Socks knit up quick! The easy textural and ribbing pattern make for a cozy fit. Simple knits and purls create the pattern and a full gusset and eye of partridge heel make this a classic boot sock ... did we mention they are machine washable and great for both guys and gals?

Finished Sizes

7” (8”, 9") approx. foot circumference


1 (1, 2) skeins) of River Wash Sport

Shown in Arya


Approx. 300 (325, 375)


2 x US 2 [3.00mm] circular needle OR size needle to obtain gauge


27 sts = 4" in stockinette stitch


US E [3.50mm] crochet hook for cast on

Skill Level


"Lost City" Socks   |   Mountain Colors' River Wash Sport  |  Shown in Arya

 Shop River Wash Sport

 Shop ePattern


River Wash Sport ... 20% OFF!

Mountain Color's "River Wash Sport" is a 100% superwash merino wool yarn. Mountain Colors' amazing colorways are wrapped up in this wonderfully versatile machine washable yarn. A great option for any sport weight project ... make a pair of colorful mittens or a cozy, cute baby sweater today!

Fiber Content

100% Superwash Merino Wool

Yardage / Weight

345 yds in 100g


22 - 24 sts over 4" on US 3 - 5 [3.25 - 3.75mm]

Care Instructions

Machine Wash, Cold, Dry Flat

 Shop River Wash Sport

Amy’s Designs in Mountain Colors Yarn!

Patty's Fall Knitting Challenge Information

Celebrating 25 Years of Mountain Color Yarns ...
Revisit a favorite project or discover a design you missed!

For the last 25 years, the creative team at Mountain Colors Yarn has brought us beautiful fiber in colors inspired by the Rocky Mountain West! Diana and Leslie each have a unique color sense.  By combining their individual aesthetics they are continually introducing amazing new colorways that sparks creativity in both knitters and crocheters.

We are proud to have supported Mountain Colors in our LYS since we opened in Galena, Illinois in May of 2004. Watching them add to their color and yarn lines has been a continual source of inspiration for many of Amy's designs.

Creating new colors are another way we've enjoyed working with Mountain Colors over the years. To date we offer 15 FiberWild custom colors in 10 yarns, most of which have patterns Amy specifically designed to show off their gorgeous hues! Below is a sampling of Amy's "best of" designs worked in Mountain Colors yarns. We hope you will revisit a favorite project or discover a design or color you missed!

Mountain Colors Yarns logo

Happy 25th Anniversary
to Diane, Leslie and the entire team at
Mountain Colors Yarn!

"Best of" Amy's designs in Mountain Colors